RCU Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Hinge Gap
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minimum Hinge Gap

I just got the E-flite Bonanza. This is the first ARF I've gotten that comes with surfaces pre-hinged/glued. The ailerons and elevator are extremely stiff, and the hinge gap is so small that I can not fit a hobby knife between the wing and the control surface. I spent an hour last night watching a TV show and flexing one of the ailerons back-and-forth, and it is still very tight.

I think the hinge gap is too small to let the hinge bend through it's range of motion, but wondering how much gap is really necessary.

The recommended servos are something like 26 oz-in of torque with plastic gears. I think I've assembled about 8 ARF's over my 3-4 years in this hobby. If I were to have glued this myself, I'd consider it a failure and would cut and re-hinge the surfaces. I'd really prefer not to have to do that myself on a pre-assemble hinge.

Should I bring this kit back to the hobby shop? Should I call Horizon first? Should I just live with it?

This seems like a stupid thing to be concerned about, but it is a beautiful airplane that I've waited a long time for - just want to make sure I do the right thing.

Thanks.