RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Somethin' Extra Build
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 AM
wildlifeguy
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Somethin' Extra Build

I agree with the response about your color scheme.  While nice, it will be hard to see the difference in the air and will affect your visual perception and reflexes during maneuvers.  

I just finished building my first SSE (I'll try to post a couple of pictures this afternoon).  I'm using an OS 70 4s and to my amazement, balanced perfectly with the battery right behind the wingtube and under the servo tray.  I was really worried about it.  Your engine should be at least 4 ounces lighter than the OS.  I also used the same landing gear that you have chosen.  I left out the blind nuts and tapped 2 of the holes for 1/4-20 nylon screws.  I know some argue that nylon bolts are unnecessary and I finally agreed on my last plane and used stock.  That Extra 300 doesn't glide well back to the runway in a deadstick especially after a low stall turn and ripped the mounting block off 3 times when landing on rough ground. I finally changed to nylon bolts and it saved the belly just last month when that darn engine died again.

I wish I had inspected the pushrod alignment before building the plane.  The throttle cable is still tight but doesn't bind.  I didn't notice any flex in the nylon tubes, but the pushrods exiting the rear fuselage don't line up well with the control horns to achieve the recommended throws and I don't like solder links.  The pushrods were tight and sticky and didn't allow the servos to center well, then when testing the engine yesterday, one of the solderlinks disconnected.  I pulled those pushrods and replaced with solid wire using a couple of pieces of the old inner pushrod as bushings in the guide tube.  I kept the nylon clevis have some adjustment at the control horns.  I bent the rods where they exited the fuselage to line up with the control horns.  They are much smoother now.  Rather than try to trust my poor soldering abilities, I used z bends to relieve my worries.

Good luck with your, it's looking very nice so far.