RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Somethin' Extra Build
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM
wildlifeguy
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Somethin' Extra Build

I wouldn't consider moving the landing gear. As long as the gear is in the same location as indicated in the plans, it becomes a center of gravity/balance issue. With my plane balanced, there is not even the slightest tendancy for it to "see saw" on the main landing gear. Your engine will be at least 4 ounces lighter than mine, so I'm not sure what the issue may be unless you forgot to check it with all the flying weight on the plane. I described the location of my radio equipment in a previous post.You may want to try a preliminary check of your CG before covering if you are worried. First, make sure all control surfaces are attached; they will add plenty of tail weight. All servos are behind the spec CG including aileron servos and all pushrods other than throttle. Your battery pack and receiver can just about butt up against the servos,well behind the spec CG. One thing I considered before being pleasantly suprised with the balance was to add a hatch on one of the bottom fuselage cutouts behind the radio compartment for the battery pack. Of course, moving the servos to the back is an option, but I didn't want to deal with that level of modification. Unless you included some modifications that addedsignificantweight to the nose, I don't think there should be an issue with balance.

Good luck and keep us posted.