RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more
Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more

I agree with saramos. I use West Systems epoxy products and have been using them for over 25 years. As a filler or repair on fiberglass, I mix micro balloons with the epoxy to get a paste. Similar in consistancy with polyester filler, but lighter. You also have control over the consistancy; more micro balloons, the thicker it is. And clean up can be accomplished with alcohol. I've had trouble in the past with polyester resin and paint. Some are not compatable. No problems with epoxy based resins. West sells pumps that measure the correct amount of resin and hardener.

I also use epoxy resin to make cowls.

Klasskote is another product I like because it has the ability to overcome high humidity because it has a long flash-off. Here in Florida, humidity can be a killer on paint, especially with lacquer based types. I've tried water base, but had trouble with grip to the primer. No problem for Klasskote.

By the way, using two different shades of primer to show the low spots during block sanding, is called using a guide coat.

Bob