RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more
Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
wyowindworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more

ORIGINAL: jroth

I am a Chemist and manufacture cleaning and specialty products for a living. I have a dozen gram scales in my laboratory and not one gram scale at home, my girlfriend has one in the kitchen, but if I got resin on it she might kill me in my sleep.
I've been using this one for small batches and really like it. Some of them stick or shut off while your adding more resin.....makes me mad. I've thrown quite few in the trash. I like the one that linked because it has a stainless platten, which is easy to clean, and I can put a baggy over the buttons. This allows me to operate the scaled with sticky gloves and not get the scale all sticky. Putting a baggy over the whole scale can mess up the readings. Sometimes just the static electricity can throw them off.

Mixing by weight is typically much more accurate than mixing by volume or pump. Most quality resin require you to be within 6% for maximum performance. On a 10 gram batch that requires you to be with .12 grams with some resins which is 2 drops out of spout top. Many will cure hard with deviations as large at 30% but the performance drops off considerably.