RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more
Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more

ORIGINAL: nwadc10

ORIGINAL: kenh3497

MY opinion on thinning epoxy....

If you are only using the thinned epoxy to apply light weight cloth (3/4 oz or lighter) the thinning agent will evaporate fast enough so the strength is not affected enough to matter. You are only ''gluing'' the cloth to the surface not using it as a structural component. If you are doing a layup of a fuselage or cowl, never thin the resin as the strength will be affected. The thinner has no chance to evaporate from the thick layup.

Have you looked at using the water based polyurethane varnishes to glass with? Never done it myself so I can't really comment. I'm told it is a bit lighter than epoxy, not quite as durable and less messy as it is water cleanup. I guess you need to watch the product soaking into the wood as it is water based? Some are using some sort of sealers as a first coat.

Ken
I plan on using 3/4 oz glass so this is applicable. What is ''layup of fuselage''? I am glassing purely as a finishing process rather than iron on covering so in my application it is not intended to add strength.

I have read some posts about the water based polyurethane and while it does sound easier cleanup it also sounds more complicated. Until I get more experience I need to keep this simple.

Justin

Layup in general is generally in a mold to produce a composite part.

like this 109F

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49430.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1713637