RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vintage Control Line Airplanes ID
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Vintage Control Line Airplanes ID

ORIGINAL: garuzic

I bought these control line models years ago and they hung in my son’s bedroom. He is now a disabled veteran and has no interest in them. I would like to find out the age (I am guessing late 50’s – early 60’s), who supplied the kits and the rough value. The Corsair has a wingspan of about 36.5” with an overall length of about 28.5”. The Stearman wings are about 24” in length. Overall length is about 32”. The engine on the Corsair is a Saturno Super Tigre .35. It shows made in Italy by Micromechanic. The engine turns over and seems to have good compression. I would like these to go to an enthusiast.

The Corsair is also a Sterling kit, from late '40s until the mid-'70s/early '80s or longer. I had a real learning experience with a Corsair. I built it when in the USAF while deployed on Alert in Morroco. It came out very heavy. First Engine was a Madwell .49. Flew Fast and easy but was very poor in any maneuvers. Later changed to a Super Cyclone and it was really a pleasure to fly for sport. Only about estimated 80% of the Madewell in speed, but it was a very good scale acrobat. Couldn't believe it. With the Madewell, a wingover was scary and had to start pulling out way high. A loop was more scary and it had to be big and bigger. With the Super Cyclone it would almost do Stunter wingovers, loops were no problem with tops at around 45-50 degrees and lazy eights just like a a Ring-Master.
With all my aeronautical experience and book-LARNIN! i heve not really figured that one out.

Some CL enthusiast may like to have them both for the old time thing and for rebuilding. BTW I also flew a Sterling Stearman in CL Scale Competition back in the 1965-70 era.
This old picture here shows the Stearman just as I was preparing to go to my last USAF World Wide Contest in 1967 before I left the USAF in Feb. '68. !st in CL Stunt, and C Free Flight that year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88927.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1722330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60458.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1722331