RCU Forums - View Single Post - Galeb G2 - new jet made in Serbia
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Galeb G2 - new jet made in Serbia

After many years in this hobby, and kits I was made from famous plans, the time has come to start on my own project.

Last year I finish Ziroli F9F Panther with Jet Cat 80.
Critics was great, plane fly very nice and smooth. ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10165568/tm.htm )

In meantime I saw that some modelers take this plans and increase it for 20%. So they get a larger model, with just a little more weight, in which can put same jet engine.

Airfield we have here in my town, Novi Sad, is sport airfield, with grass runway. It's not an ideal flat and with my Panther I have a little problem on takeoff and landing. My idea was, when start work on new jet model, must be larger - Ziroli F9F bigger for 20%.

But after thinking I get new idea...
If I need to invest time and energy to enlarged Ziroli plans, why not to made my model, something new, something that is nowhere to buy, which latter can be offer like kit.

So, I start to work on GALEB G2.

Interesting moment is, we here, on our airport have Acrobatic group "Stars", with 5 airplanes Galeb G2.
I am member same Aero club like Acro group. Leader of Acrobatic group is my good friend, and owner also (that is private acrobatic group)...
In this circumstances Galeb G2 is ideal model for my project. I can go in hangar when ever I want and take any measure, make pictures, have access to technical documentation...

Paint scheme on Acrobatic group planes is my design. Only change in design was, I made normal star on the bottom of the plane, and after it was stretch the upper arm...
First lines for painting Acrbatic Galeb G2 was made by me and my wife (we have shop for design and sign painter)...

OK, few words about Galeb G2.

This jet plane was made in early '60 last century. Galeb G2 was school fighter plane. You can find a lot about it on Internet.
Design and performance was great, so after service in the army, many of this planes was sold to private pilots. I think John Travolta have one...

Galeb G2 is jet plane with classic design, normal wing, normal flaps, ailerons, very robust landing gears. This is plane without excessive hydraulic and electronics parts. Because that it is cheap for maintenance.

Flying performance are excellence even today, stall speed is small, profile is similar like on the Blanik sailplane, so Galeb can glide long without engine...

All this knowledge supports that this can be very good model also.

My idea is to made exactly 1/5 scale model. That is similar size of enlarged Zirolis F9F.

Galeb G2 will be wooden model, with wing span of 2320 mm with wing tanks. Without it, models wing span is around 2060 mm.
Weight, with Jet Cat 80 will be about 10-11 kilograms.

I think that will be used Behotec retracts, Behotec front leg, but, main gear legs will be our products, which will fits in Behotec pneumatic mechanism.

Wheels are 90 mm front, and 120mm main.
Jet Cat 80 will be enough for this model.

For now, I am working on 3D model, which will be basis for further development work. My plan is to maiden flight made at spring next year.
Until then all about this projects you will read hear...

Here is few pictures about Galeb G2 in Acro group Stars colors...

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-12.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	2236637

Name:	2-12.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	2236638

Name:	gggggggggg33333333.jpg