RCU Forums - View Single Post - My One off Cowl build
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 03:38 PM
chip_MG
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My One off Cowl build

Hi Chick5,

I used 3m 77 you can get at the Home depot to glue the sheets together with. The foam board itself comes in 2' X 4' sheets or 4' X 8' sheets I think is was around $8 a sheet for the 4x8 size. It has other uses as well, in the hobby.

Blackdog, sorry for taking a long time to respond RCU has become so slow that I don't come here as much anymore..

But I'll outline the process I use to make a single item the cheapest that is.. If I need duplicates like wheel pants then I'll make a plug , and mold but doing that cost about 3 times the money and time.. Thats why Use the one off method for single items like cowls.

First cut the sheets to close size maybe 1/2 " larger all around to save sanding later. Use the plan profile to get the shape ya need, then glue the sheets together using 3m77..

Then sand to shape using course 30 - 50 grit sandpaper on a block. Use you plans to get the shape right. I make 3 cardboard templates for this one for each view.

When ya got the plug the shape you pleased with, then you just cover it in fiberglass glass using EPOXY resin,, Don't use poly or it'll eat the plug fast.. Polyester resin attacks most type of foam. Plus Epoxy resin in easier I think.. I cut the fiberglass 5 Oz type as large as I can get it to lay on the plug without pulling up.. It does'nt really matter because you'll be sand the fiberglass back to finish it anyway. I usaully will use 2 - 3 layers of 5 oz glass because I like a strong cowl.. If you sand a hole in the cowl It's no big thing cause you can always all more glass.. When your sanding use a dust mask and go outside, It can be messy.

After you happy with the thing, drill a large hole and put acetone or MEK to melt out the foam, also messy.

Thats it, after ya make a few things it'll get easy and you can learn to not be as messy..

Cheers, and happy landings to ya

Chip