RCU Forums - View Single Post - HPI Mini Recon problems
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM
New Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI Mini Recon problems

ORIGINAL: TripShot

My truck is still clicking in the rear. I switched the front and rear diffs and the clicking only stopped for about 1 pack

I might just leave it front wheel drive until I can think of something.

Ihada clicking noise in mine, but coming from the front end. The problem seems to stem from the dogbone/stub axle interface...at the upper and lower limits of suspension travel (a lot of angle between the dogbone and stub axle), the driving "pins" on the dogbone are forced to slide in and out of the slots on the stub axles with each rotation. I think the clicking iswhen the pin completely comes out of the slot, and is forced to go back in. When Iwould compress the suspension while holding the truck in the air (with a little bit of throttle), the clickingnoise disappeared b/c the dogbone had more of a straight shotinto the stub axle (nosliding motion of the pin in the slot).
Because Iwas impatient, my solution wastoreplace the dogbones with CVD's. However, Idon't think youwould have to do that. After Idug into the truck a littlemore to do maintenance and cleaning, Inoticed that the rear dogbones had shorter drive pins, like they had been filed down a little. Idon't know where, when, or how that happenedb/c I didn't do it (truck was NIB and it looked like it have never been run). For what it's worth though, therear nevermadethat clicking noise like the front did. HTH.