RCU Forums - View Single Post - SPEKTRUM Misrepresentation?
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SPEKTRUM Misrepresentation?

ORIGINAL: grimbeaver

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: grimbeaver

Lets break this down to the important point which almost NO ONE is reading...

ORIGINAL: abcarr711
...the receiver and the satelite receiver were both clearly marked as DSM2 receivers, but according to product support at Horizon Hobby, only the Satelite receiver is DSM2. The AR8000 receiver is actually DSMX although it is clearly marked as DSM2.

They continued to tell me that they are not compatible with each other although they were both clearly marked as DSM2...
I agree with the OP that this is clearly wrong on Horizon's part. If I have two products labeled DSM2 they should work together. I shouldn't have to figure out that they labeled a DSMX as a DSM2 and that these two items are not going to work together with the default settings in my TX. There is no logical reason the user should have to manually select DSM2 in their TX to make this setup work properly.

Also you all assume that the OP is blaming Horizon for his crash. He is not and has stated that several times. He is simply stating something that he discovered in his investigation into the crash.
I just reread the OP's original post. While he says he is not holding anyone to blame for his crash, he contradicts himself by implying that disastrous things could happen because of the mislabeled receivers, however, that would not be the case. Here are some of the statements in question.

''I am here to let people learn from my misfortune and advise them that SPEKTRUM has knowingly and admitted to mislabeling AR8000 receivers as DSM2 receivers and if you have the misfortune to mix up a clearly marked DSM2 satelite receiver with another clearly marked DSM2 satelite receiver with an AR8000 that is clearly marked as a DSM2 receiver, you could have disasterous results.''

''Could my mishap been avoided if the receivers had been labeled correctly? Very possible. Have others lost planes in this same fashion? That is what I would like to know.''

I have the early version of the DX8, labeled on the face of the Tx as DSM2. I bought it used from someone who only used it a few times and then decided he wanted a 9503, with more channels and enhanced programming. He had no problems with the AR8000 and Remote that was shipped to him, before or after he sent it in for the DSMX upgrade. I have had no problems with it, as well.

There were legitimate reasons why Horizon labeled the receivers as they did, but again, nothing that was done in any way affected the performance of the equipment.

If you understand your equipment and use it correctly, you won't have problems 99.9% of the time because no system is perfect. ..
The OP understood that he had two products labeled DSM2 which all Spektrum product literature says will work together. Sounds to me like he understood what Spektrum told him just fine. The issue is Spektrum was lying to him.

Say for a second that gas fuel line and glow fuel line looked identical. Now say the manufacturer mislabels glow fuel line as gas fuel line and when you use it for gas it breaks down. By the logic of most of the people here the manufacturer has done no wrong. It's 100% your fault if you try and use the fuel line with gas.

Spektrum says if you have a DSM2 receiver you must have a DSM2 remote. The OP had what according to Spektrum packaging said was compatible hardware. I agree with the OP. Why is there not a service notice telling people to check their rx and remote by serial number instead of what it's labeled? Why did they mislabel if there was going to be issues with mixing?
There were no issues with mixing. As was repeated many times, the AR8000 receiver will operate with a DSMX or a DSM2 transmitter. His DX8 was only capable of DSM2 operation, at the time, but subsequently upgradable to DSMX, when it was announced. His AR8000 was labeled DSM2 which was fully compatible with his DX8.

The Remote that came with his DX8 was also marked DSM2. He states that his Remote would not Bind to his DX8. Since his AR8000 will Bind and work properly whether or not the Remote even works or is attached, there was no problem with the operation of his radio.

The OP claims he used the Remote that came with his AR8000. The OP said that Horizon told him the Remote was not compatible with his AR8000. If Horizon inadvertently sent him an incompatible Remote, they owe him a compatible Remote.

None of this affected the operation of the radio. The labeling was done for a legitimate reason and caused no harm, just confusion, in this case. This could be just an isolated case.

When I was new to 2.4, the first thing I had to learn was how to Bind the Tx to the Rx and how to tell if the Bind was successful. In the case of Spektrum, I also had to Bind to the Remote, at the same time. If the Remote did not Bind, the light on the Remote would not come on Solid. If the Remote had no Solid light, I would have called Horizon and if the Remote was deemed to be defective, I would have had it replaced under Warranty.

In most cases, if the Remote is bad, you cannot Bind so you cannot Fly. If the Remote goes bad in the air, the main Rx will still operate normally. The next time you power up the Rx, if the Remote is bad, the Tx will not Link to the Rx and you will know you have a problem.

The AR8000 was designed to work With or Without the Remote. Each time I prepare for a flying day, I check the lights on the main Rx and Remotes to be sure the lights come on solid.

I bought a number of AR9000 Rx's from my LHS. One had a bad servo port 5. I took it back to the LHS and he gave me a new one.