RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIMLA BUILD THREAD
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SIMLA BUILD THREAD

ORIGINAL: rg1911

....it all sounds as though the bottom blocks should be thicker to allow sanding without removing the upwards curve of the fuse while simultaneously allowing a curved surface to the underside. And because the forward bottom block has been hollowed out, it is particularly resistant to being raised above the level of the formers while retaining enough thickness to support the hold-down bolts.

I suppose the hollowed-out area can be partially filled with scrap balsa. Although laminating on another 1/4-inch of balsa to the bottom blocks seems like the way to go.
Well, you should't have to add any wood to the blocks to get it to work. Like I said, just be sure the blocks come up to the curvature of the formers and you'll be OK. Draw a line on the blocks comforming to the formers, and see how much "block" is left...it should be fine. Do the same thing with the spinner to see where it hits the nose blocks you have, and see how much wood is in the corners where the sides meet the top and bottom.

When I get home this evening I'll take a look at the plans and the photos I have of the area, but I think you're about to be amazed how a square block of a fuselage becomes a rounded "shapely" fuselage. Sand down to the curved formers, but NOT INTO THEM. As you sand away, the wood underneath "takes over". Still, hold the fuselage up to a strong light to look for thin spots as you go. You might have to add a little wood near where the top block meets the fuselage top block, and in the area of the engine compartment.

BTW....Get outside when you are power sanding the square fuselage into a rounded airplane...there is going to be a LOT of balsa dust flying around. The electric sander with 80 grit sandpaper makes quick work of those square corners.

I'll post some pictures!

Good luck

Duane