RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
wildbill1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: wildbill1981

hello all got a couple questions about my tornado BB i drive it on the street for the most part so i like the 2 speed but what is the best cheapest engine upgrade?i have the s30..and from what car? also should i get alum clucth and stuff to make it last longer im new to this had it for about 6 months get to play around couple times a month.....also the original rims are junk that come with the tornado, one ofmy front rims broke the center out when it did a flip at slow speed..lol..and the rear one from doing donuts and stuff.is there a link someone could put on here for some good stronger rims and i would like to put street tires on it also... sometimes when im driving it it runs awesome and ill go in the dirt and do a bunch of donuts and it boggs down sometimes is it getting to hot, it did have a hard timestartingawhile back when i first got it it wouldnt shift into second gear for awhile then i let it sit for 2 months and it shifts fine now i did the proper break in...and a buddy helped me tune it a little..the idle is great im just worried about the other screw i turned it down all the way then brought it out 2 and a half turns and it wouldnt run so i just kept turning it until it ran set my idle....should it have a little blow by fuel coming out the ex. it seems to run better when i turned it up to where it just started getting blow by... original setup it was pouring out the ex and eventully stopped running after about a gallon of fuel through out the times i ran it..so i re did the set-up any ways sorry for the long post but im looking for some solid rims for the front and back and street tires, nice solid ones...unless someone knows of a better rim style the ones at redcat look like they would break easy too. any cheap upgrades u could help out with would be great thanx in advance...alo i have a traxxas car minus motor and sterring servo is there anything i can use on mine from it like front end parts to make a wider wheel base? or even the tranny? thanx again guys
As far as engines go I would probably stick with what you have. You could swap it out with an O.S. .18 which will have a lot more power but that engine is near $150. I don't know if it would be worth puting that much cash into your Tornado. Go ahead and tweak on it and make small modifications but to drop that much on another engine, I might consider getting another car/truck.

Yes you should see a minimal amount of fuel coming from the exhaust depending on your temp. When it came from the factory the HSN was backed out and set very rich to break in the engine. Now that you've tuned it and turned it in a little, the fuel from the exhaust will be much less if you even see it at all. Just make sure your getting good smoke still. Try to run between 230-240 degrees. If you don't have a temp gun, put a drop of spit on the head. If it sizzles or pops, your way too hot. If it evaperates in less than 3 seconds your still on the hot side. It should evaperate in 3-5 seconds.

Heres a pic of when I used to run street tires on my Tornado before I yanked the two speed out of it. I'm not sure of the model number but I bought HPI rims. They fit great, had a good offset and were rock solid. They were only about $6 a pair. I had Proline Speed Hawgs mounted on them. Believe it or not, as smoothe as they look they actually had decent grip in the grass and dirt.