RCU Forums - View Single Post - Russian Elfin 149 ABC Repro
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Russian Elfin 149 ABC Repro

ORIGINAL: william hanshaw

I recently acquired a Russian Elfin 149 ABC Repro that I've tried unsuccessfully to run. It's so tight it squeaks during hand turnover. I have gotten a few ''pops'' out of it - but no continuous run, even with prime at closed cylinder or three drops of fuel into venturi, with NV closed, etc. Pretty standard procedures. Does anyone have some positive comments other than using it for a paperweight? I've read that some pretty experienced dieselers (including Earl W.)have also been unable to run their ABC Elfins. However, I've read that some others seem to have had good results with their ABC versions. In my opinion, the engine seems to be pretty good manufacture, but I don't have ABC experience to speak of.

Also, what fuel should I best try using? I have Aerodyne, DDD non-1/2A, and various home-brew mixes. Anyone?

The topic has come up quite a lot on this and other forums. The problem is the cylinder taper is all wrong. Most of the ABC ones don't run.
I have seen one that did. They must have got the taper wrong :-)

This is part of my personal problem with some US diesel outlets that still sell older style diesels with running problems.

My suggestion is to put it in your engine collection and move on to other projects.

Ray