RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Pacer Project
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM
SpadCat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Pacer Project

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

I still have a Wanderer from 20 plus years ago. It has more hours in the air then I care to think about. It is battered and bruised but still flies well. I used a Kraft 4 channel radio too. That thing had some serious range to it. It had a (4) sub "C" flight battery.

I have to laugh pretty hard when i read threads about building an ARF!!! What? You put a few pieces together to assemble an ARF. Most people would not and could not scratch build anything. You did a great job on your plane. I am hopeful to getting parts cut and core cut this weekend. If Mach None #1 goes well, then I will do a 6 channel version. I will add rudder, retracts and flap/breaks. That should look really well.

Buzz.

Sub C NI-Cads was what I used in an Aquila sailplane (presently I have a Lipo pack in it, but it needs ballast now). I had a World Engines 6 ch transmitter, and it was 12v, so I installed a jack in the back of it and jumpered it over to my car battery. We use to fly at a park that was up in the mountains above San Jose where we would hi-start the planes and either thermal or slope soar, depending on conditions. I am not sure what our longest flights were, but they were several hours, at least. Brought reclining lawn chairs and some beer and, well that was living!

I know what you mean about ARFs. I am not against them per se as my first full house RC ship was a Lanier Comet II, but I have been building both kits and and scratch buidling since I was pre-teen. The latest ARF I bought was a Lil-Stinker Pitts Special last Christmas...it was just too pretty to pass up and at a great price, plus it looks just like the plastic Cox .020 powered ukie my parents bought me 50 years ago, so I had to get it.

If you do a build thread on the Mach None, let me know and I will follow it. What is the difference between the Mach None and the Pacer? They look pretty close to me, but I have not seen either one in person.

SpadCat