Thread: Sterling 48
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 AM
rblubaugh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Sterling 48

Dan, 

I'm going to be curious to see your redo to the cabin structure.  I definitely wasn't thinking about the aft cabin area being part of the removable structure.  I really should have known better since the whole of the area aft of the fore deck on the Dumas Commander is removable as one unit.  Sometimes I don't know where my mind goes; must be thinking about too many things. 

Was only guessing about seeing you pusher over on the Dauntless site, I spend a lot of time following Rich do some really interesting thinkgs to his Dauntless and a few other Captains are also following suite with theirs.  I also check other forums and your unique pusher may have shown up in one or another of those.

I think those port holes do look really nice.  You could paint the "plug" for the interior before gluing in on and "maybe" keep the brass OR maybe not, what ever floats your boat, so to speak. 

Your PT boat looks nice and I note the non-scuff finish on the bottom of the boat stand.  Nice touch!  That brings me back to an earlier comment about launching your boats, with a line hooked to the bow and stern then lowering them down the bank.  I immediately thought about the rudders and screws wondering how you escaped damaging either of them in the process? 

The pond where I usually run my boats has the same problem, a two to four foot steep bank to the water.  I generally find the shallower of the areas near the parking lot and slowly walk to the water line.  Then I have to get the boat into the water without falling or walking into the pond.  So far so good but I haven't tried it with my Dauntless yet as it's not ready to run, not my Commander, it's a long way from being ready.  Bothe will be much heavier than the Atlantic Tug I usually take to the pond.

Any way, I'm interested in your launch method and how you avoid damage to the baot.

Bob