RCU Forums - View Single Post - Silk Covering Techniques
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
mred33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Silk Covering Techniques

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

"everything I have read says that it is every bit as good as silk without the expense of silk. "

I cannot accept that. Silk is fabric; silkspan is a paper product. I see no way they can be as good.

Les
Iwas talking about polyspan and I will admit that Ihaven't used it very long. I am still in the process of learning how it works and if it will hold up. So far Ihave not punched any holes in it, but that doesn't mean that Iwon't later. Inever pick up a plane by putting pressure on the covering. Ilearned that back in the days of silkspan with Iwas a kid and that was all I could afford. Itreat all planes the same and carefully lift it by the bottom of the fuselage and wing, but not putting much pressure on any one point. Ireally like silkspan, but I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't hold up all that good. Ihave had planes that lasted a couple of years with silkspan, but not more. They just start attracting holes for some reason. Silk is my all time favorite and if polyspan doesn't hold up, then Iwill go back to it. Ijust had to try it and see what it was all about. Ihave used nylon before, but it is a little hard to work with and not much fun. Kind of heavy too.

Ed