RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Plane Guys Are Cheap!
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 PM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Plane Guys Are Cheap!

Ok, before people start getting mad at me, that was a statement made by a friend of mine who owns a hobby shop. He told me that the heli, car, and boat guys are much more willing to pay the costs associated with their craft. He told me that the average plane guy will complain about every single item he has to buy and every plane sale is harder to make than any other RC vehicle. While I thought he was exaggerating, as I understand the costs associated with my hobby, I witnessed it first hand this past week at a local auction. I took a couple of items to the auction with intent to sell at bargain value prices. One item was a NIB Goldberg float kit. I wanted around $20. Another was a super nice, fabric covered and painted OD Goldberg cub with smooth running OS61 FS. RTF minus receiver. I would take $225. Another was a Sig Liberty Sport kit with fuse professionally built and the remaining items still in box. $60 I wanted. When the floats came up to bid the highest they went was $10. The cub, $110, and the Sig LS kit, $15!
Ok, these guys were cheap! There's no excuse for it. I supposed everyone is thinking the times are bad and guys selling need the money but those offers were insults. I see it here when I look at offers others make on RCU ads. Hey, I believe in trying to get my moneys worth but I offer a fair value. It seems lately those offers are not even close and are closer to ridiculous. When I look on Ebay though, I see people will to pay an items worth. I guess the audience is broader and the competition is greater so the value is given. I know one thing, I don't want to be considered in the "cheap" description and will continue to offer a decent value for an item I want to buy. I am a builder and understand the time and effort that goes into a model. I will give my fellow modeler value for his effort, time, and expense.