RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 09:01 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

There is rumour of two 'Perigee' kits, un-opened, hiding somewhere in Auckland. I am led to believe that the kit version is a little simpler than the originals, all sheet fin, for one. I am confused too, with tip stalling reports, it will stall, as reported, does loverly snaps, but it does need to be deliberately pushed to do so. Per the 'Hobby Helpers' plan all my wing sheeting is parallel to the leading edge except for the rear pieces, which are parallel to the aileron spar. I had no trouble at all with keeping the wing straight, I built in a degree or two of washout as a matter of course and the result is a very predictable airplane. My guess is that, given the current 'state of the art' at the time the average pilot/builder of the model may not have had Toms attention to detail nor his flying skills. The model definitely does not have the forgiving characteristics of Taurus, and this combination may have been the cause of the reputation. It is also a small airplane, at a time when radio was both expensive and large. I guess it was just a bit much, all round, for the time. Nice sports model now, of course, just shows how things have changed.
Evan, WB #12.