View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 05:05 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie

Welcome!
Good summation above.
I will add that if you have an "older" transmitter on the 72 mhz band it is still usable even though the 2.4 is more desirable. Many fliers still use 72 but it really depends where you will be flying and what interference you will encounter. This is where joining a local club comes in .
If you have nothing and need everything I would recommend either a used high wing nitro powered trainer plane like a Kadet, Tower Trainer, etc.. and you can find them ready to fly sometimes with the plane, engine,transmitter,receiver, flight box, starter,battery and charger for under $225.00.
If price is not a concern or if you want "new" you could try a ready to fly foam airplane like an [link=http://www.e-fliterc.com/products/default.aspx?prodid=efl2725]Eflite Apprentice [/link]. It's easy to fly and repair plus it's something you can use for awhile as you become more experienced. You can get a few extra batteries along with the plane for about $350.00.
Lot's of options out there and a lot of pitfalls too. As stated it's best to hang around some local clubs talk to the members and find one that suits you. If you can find one with friendly helpful folks(I'm sure you will) you will have it made as someone there will help guide you and get you started properly.