RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lost a plane today
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lost a plane today

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Now you tell me.........been using 4.8 for 2 years now.....Boy am I dumb.......I should have been crashing......
Sebo, some of us caught your sarcasm [8D] and know what you're getting at.

I've yet to see a 2.4 system spell out '6.0 V only', and have seen many 2.4 flights on 4.8 packs. That said, I've backed into using 6V packs (eek! nicad & nimh!) for better servo speed, but have always made sure the receivers and servos were up to it.

You don't get longer duration from 6V either, just faster speed. The increased duration thing is a myth. Think unicorns.
I know I have seen some 2.4 manufacturer's recommending the use of 6v Rx batteries. When Brownouts were first identified, the firmware in the receivers were updated to keep the Reboot time to a second or so. It was also pointed out that the high current draw on the Rx could cause the Rx voltage to drop below critical and force a reboot. Everyone was advised to make sure the capacity of their Rx batteries was more than sufficient to avoid a rapid voltage drop and subsequent Brownout if conditions forced an extreme current draw on the Rx. It was also advised that using 6v Rx packs instead of 4.8v packs would also help prevent a Brownout.

While this advice may not have come directly from the manufacturers, why risk using 4.8v packs to save a couple of bucks. It makes sense to use 6v Rx packs. Most Spektrum receivers warn you, if a Brownout has occurred, with a Blinking light. Failsafe does not kick in if you have a Brownout.

Check out A.T. website or Red Schofield's web site and see what is posted about 2.4 Rx batteries.