RCU Forums - View Single Post - It's been a long, fun adventure...
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's been a long, fun adventure...

I started trying to fly R/C in 1973, building a Goldberg Falcon 56 Mk II with Titebond, epoxy, and Monokote. Had probably the first Futaba radio in the county (a US serviceman had brought it from Japan), a 4 channel set on 27mHz, linear output servos, dry cell batteries, no reversing, no computer, no trainer, no dual rates... Back then, Kraft radios were top of the line, and K&B/Veco were among the best engines. Lanier made ARFs out of molded plastic, and the local hobby shop made their own fuel.

I left the hobby when I discovered girls, dabbled a bit after college until I got married in 1988, and returned to it with a vengence before our first aniversary. Two of my three stepsons became avid R/C pilots, but left the hobby to pursue other (mostly female) interests. My hobby area grew over the years, starting with a 2x4' table in a corner of the garage, then walling off a third of a two-car garage, then to a 540 sq ft shop attached to the new house we built, and finally to a 30x44' (1320 sq ft) steel shop building behind the house. At one point, I believe I flew 42 weekends a year, and often on both days. I was actively involved with two clubs, even served as President of both one year. During this time, I also left retail management/sales and became a high school Business/Computer teacher.

My hobby blended with my vocation for many years, teaching high school students to design, build and fly R/C airplanes. That was exciting, to say the least, and many of those students remain in contact long after graduation.

I started my online experience with RCOnline and a Commodore64. I became a moderator for RCO, and came over to RCU when RCO tanked. I modded here for a bit, but simply started running out of time. In addition to my regular duties as a teacher, I run a charter school in the evenings. These 11-14 hour days took a toll on my building time, so I collected kits but mostly assembled ARFs. My children grew up (grandchild #4 is due in July!) and we became empty-nesters.

In August 2004, my wife and I were on a long-overdue vacation. We were driving around California and Oregon, seeing sights my wife had never seen. On the way down from Mt. Saint Helens, my wife suggested we ought to get a couple of Harleys. We did - and I went from 40+ weekends flying to 4- per year. We really enjoy riding together - on those beautiful flying days.

I worked on making time for both. We'd ride Saturday, and I'd tow my trailer to church Sunday, then go fly afterwards. Still only flew 15-20 times a year, but enjoyed the time and the people. Stepped away from being an officer, but stayed involved. Then, last year, I returned to another old hobby/passion/vice - firearms. I went to check out a new indoor shooting range a few miles from my house, and they were having a pistol match that evening. I signed up, and drove home to get my old Colt .45 (1911). My wife asked if I had dinner plans, and I told her I was going to go compete in a pistol match. She was surprised - I hadn't shot a pistol in nearly a decade. I went to the match for fun, shot 5 practice rounds, and then scored in the top third at the competition.

I enjoyed it, enough to shoot several times a month. My wife had never fired a pistol until recently, and now she's hooked! That cut into my R/C time, and I finally realized I wasn't enjoying R/C anymore. It had become a stressor, instead of reducing stress. I was staying with it mostly because I had so much invested in it. I had 70+ NIB kits, 15-20 NIB ARFs, 30+ flyable planes, and a 6x14' cargo trailer. I thought "If I sold this stuff for $5k, I could walk away happy!". Well, I had to sell it piece by piece, but I'm almost done. I'm down to 10 or so kits, a bunch of used motors, a few airframes, one flyable plane and one radio. There's a fun fly Sunday, and I hope to go loaded and return empty. I've sold a lot, made a lot of smokin' deals, and even given away stuff to deserving individuals. I will do some more of that this weekend, and maybe a bit longer, but I'm looking forward to an empty shop. At this time in my life, it's the right decision.

One really nice thing about it - every time I drive out to the flying field, someone wants me to fly their plane. Trim out a trainer, wring out an aerobat, putt around an old-timer, whatever - I still enjoy it. Maybe more so, as I enjoy helping others.

I treasure the guys in both clubs, and here on RCU. There are many, many quality people involved in this hobby. I have little doubt that I will return to this hobby someday, but right now I am leaving under the best of terms - not mad at anybody, not tired of any duties, not protesting any club decisions, just happily putting my time and energy into other areas.

To all of you, enjoy life!