RCU Forums - View Single Post - first glider
Thread: first glider
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: first glider

ORIGINAL: Rudy

I'd like to learn and experience gliding to see how it feels plus flying for fun when not practicing pattern.<o></o>

Then a rudder-elevator electric glider such as the Radian would be a good first option.

It's supposed to be about the "fishing" for thermals after all. The first "nibble" as you find something out of the ordinary. Then altering how you circle to find where the center of the lift is located, assuming there IS any lift. Then riding the free elevator as far as you dare be it to some crazy height overhead or scratching for every foot in weak lift while dissapearing downwind and wondering how soon you need to come back to avoid walking downwind.

You'll find that each thermal has a "personality" as well. Some are big, soft and friendly. Many are small and cheap with their favours. Others challenge and toss you like a championship Rodeo bull.

Yeah, I suspect you'll find enough to keep you going despite not having ailerons....

Of all the model flying I've done RC soaring keeps me coming back for more. Flying the models is as simple as you'll get. But actually Soaring is a whole other matter. You'll get better at it with time and expierience but you'll never truly master all that the air has in it.