RCU Forums - View Single Post - BIPLUM, a T-tailed biplane
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Steve in MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIPLUM, a T-tailed biplane

Hello all. I realize that this is the scratch build section but this is the closest to a plans built section that there is. Not only is this my first biplane but its also my first plans only build as well. I learned pretty quick that this hobby is definitely a “Crawl, walk, run” type of experience. I started out with a couple of ARF’s (may they rest in pieces), built a couple of kits, copied a few kits and am now trying my hand at plans only. If I mess around with this stuff long enough, then maybe someday I can design and build a model of my design. The BIPLUM was designed for a 3 channel set up but I decided that I needed more punishment and built in some ailerons as I went along. It originally had 5/8 dihedral under each tip on the lower wing and 1-½ on the upper wing. I went with 5/8 dihedral for both wings because of the aileron addition. Nowhere on the plan sheet or the build article was there any mention of wing incidence. Careful measurement showed that both wings were at the same angle without any differential between the two. After it was built, I put the incidence meter to it and both wings came out to 1-1./2 degrees positive incidence. What I couldn’t find anywhere, was what point do I balance this thing at. I couldn’t balance it under the lower wing because it was way top heavy and hanging it under the top wing didn’t seem right. So, I flipped it upside down and balanced it on top of the lower wing (see picture) What I would like to know, is if this is the correct way to suspend a biplane for balancing. I have also set it for just a tad bit nose heavy to start using this balancing set up. I’m not sure if this means anything or not, but the upper wing is staggered rear ward ½in of the lower wing . The BIPLUM is modeled after a French ultra light built in the mid ‘80s. There is very precious info anywhere but if ya get bored, then google “BIPLUM MG-302“. So, where is the best place to balance a biplane? Is there anything wrong with doing it this way? Thanks for your time. Steve in MT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26125.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1756709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80955.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1756710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86011.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	134.9 KB