RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mobil Jet Oil II mixing with Methanol
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 AM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mobil Jet Oil II mixing with Methanol

Notice the good information from "Downunder" in the post above. I agree... BP 2380 is a good alternative. I hope you can also get the BP oil for free. I conducted extensive tests with 10 percent BP Turbine Oil and no additional oil. (The total oil content was 10 percent.) We ran several gallons through an Enya engine mounted on a test stand with the needle valve set for max RPMs. Then we tore the engine down and inspected it for any signs of wear or heat problems. The engine was very clean internally....no carbon buildup...no discoloration from heating...no signs of unusual wear in the piston or sleeve. We halted the testing at 10 percent oil as the taper of the needle valve was too coarse for the thin viscosity of the fuel. Needle settings were becoming too difficult...but the lubrication was fine. Since most glow engines have needlevalve taper designed for rather thick fuel viscosity (fuels with high oil content), we decided that an ideal blend would be 5% jet turbine oil and 10% Klotz or castor oil, for a total oil content of 15 percent. We found that 15 percent oil produced excellent results in piped engines. The reduced oil changed the density of the exhaust gas and thus actually changed the "sonic velocity" within the tuned pipe. The pipe needed to be adjusted slightly with a result of a noticeable power increase. This was especially helpful with fuels used in R/C powerboat racing.
Best Regards
JC