RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mobil Jet Oil II mixing with Methanol
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Fuel Dinosaur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mobil Jet Oil II mixing with Methanol

Mobil Jet II is not a very safe oil to use on a regular basis and I do not recommend it. There are other, better and safer oils to use. I have used dozens of different oils over the years and it is kind of ironic. Good old AA grade castor or Benol racing castor oil still work fine. The Klotz oils, developed and used by this responder in the King Orange Internationals way back when, still work great. I see the tendency in the fuel business to use many lesser oils, some sold with snake-oil additives, too little oil in many cases, and on balance, too much nitromethane, only in America. :-) Have been the propylene oxide, nitrobenzene, acetone, ethanol and about every other route you can take to make a fuel. Another way to get a less expensive fuel is to buy a club fuel. They often buy in 55-gal drums and can provide a better base cost for the fuel. Unless you use more than a dozen or two gallons it year, it is hard to save money on fuel. I personally buy my methanol in 55-gal drums from VP Racing, 5-gal pails or 30 gal drums of nitromethane and barrels of Techniplate or Techniplate with 20% Benol castor by volume. SIG Mfg still makes some very good fuels, but hazmat fees are extremely high, and added to regular shipping costs. Consider a different oil other than Mobil Jet II, please. I think FHS Supply still ships nitromethane, and methanol and also has pick up.