RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hobbico Starter
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbico Starter

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: acdii

As a test I put an inline 20 amp fuse in, and as soon as I started to turn over the DLE20, it blew the fuse. These do draw some current!
The starters are designed for 12 volts. When we start adding more voltage you can over heat the starter if you keep rolling over a motor that doesn't want to start. I have used two auto batteries set up in series for 24 volts on a cheap stock starter and it really rolled over the Zinoah 45 but you didn't want to be rolling over the engine for a long time or your starter welded the switch and could over heat and burn it up.
When you change over to the 18 volts you want to roll over your small engines by hand and make sure they aren't flooded or you can break a crank or rod if the engine is locked up.
The HF battery is great but when charging you want to make sure you don't go over that five hours. The charger will cook the batteries if left on too long!!!!
Maybe that is what I did wrong on the charging. I used my regular charger and set it for 18v. It would not even turn over a 46 2 stroke. I now use a dynatron with a 6 cell lipo. I did have to go to sullivan's heavy duty starter switch. That starter is designed for 12 ro 24v. But when you get near the 24v you have to careful or you will weld the switch.