RCU Forums - View Single Post - Avalanche xte
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Avalanche xte

ORIGINAL: PoopieBritches

Those shafts that you linked to are the shafts that I'm using,perhaps I am mistaken,I thought that there was a difference between universal and cvd? The original problem I had was that the axle was popping out of the diff cup at full compression and full lock with wheels.To prevent this from happening,I placed some spacers over the shock shafts to limit the travel. This seems to be working well enough,now the problem is that one of the pins that holds the two halfs of the universal shaft together is working its way out. I just replaced the shafts,and after two packs thru the truck their already coming out.I have tried to peen the ends of the pins,but they are so hard that they break rather than mushroom over.Idk,but the rear of the truck uses dogbones,and I'm on my second set of those as well.Thanks for the reply.Mike
OK, it wasnt clear from redcat's page on the XTE if the fronts had dogbones or CVD's out of the box.

Universal and CVD driveshafts mean the same thing to me...that one end(at least, if not both) has a pivot joint.

Its a common problem with CVD's having the pins want to come out....on many brands.
My buddy has a slash 4x4 and he paid $55 for MIP driveshafts. His pins fall out from time to time, which is crazy when those CVD's cost that much (for 2!)

I havent seen a XTE up close, so I dont know if this will work...but some have used electrical tape wrapped tightly over where the pin goes in. Put it on tight...then heat the tape a bit with a lighter. That will cause it to "shrink" alittle and make it tight.
Some have had some luck with loctite. It wont keep the pin from coming out when you need it to but will give it some adhesion to the hole it goes into.

Lastly, is there a set screw (grub screw) which is supposed to hold the pin in place? If so, you need to tighten it down and use loctite on it.

If there is enough space, you can use heatshrink tubing.