RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sailplane Wing Design Round II
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Nodd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sailplane Wing Design Round II

Wow awesome suggestions! This is precisely why I'm doing this build in public. I have my own small bag of tricks I enjoy sharing but I love how this works both ways.

For my last ill fated wing I did something a little different to your temporary one piece wing alignment method. Basically I made the wing-rod holes in my ribs slightly over sized on one wing panel. I then assembled the two panels, made sure they were aligned & then used epoxy to fill in the gaps between the wing-rod tube & the over sized holes in the ribs. I was wondering how on Earth I was going to align things this time around but you've just solved that problem for me. Very cool.

We're involved in a debate over on RC Groups about whether my wing-rod blocks would benefit from extra outside ply webbing. Even though your 1/32" ply isn't structural, I think you just wrapped up that discussion for us too with your micro balloon soup rod-block technique. I really like the idea of a self aligning fluid block instead of hours spent drilling holes in hardwood until things come out right. Very smart.

That & your other suggestions, good stuff. Thank you again.