RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where is this hobby going
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 10:01 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where is this hobby going

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I have been in the hobby for 34-35 years and yes i would like to so see more kits come out. the problem is MONEY. the amount of people that would buy a kit and the people that will buy an arf is very far apart. Now something that might help both partys would have the ARF MFG's offer thier arf in a kit form. they already have the wood cut and everything just box it up. this will allow us to still build a kit, allow the ARF MFG to make more money also. Now it maybe the same plane but now you know how its built, you can ''kit bash'' it and cover it with covering that will last much longer than the ARF stuff.

I am the president of my club and I am teaching a new guy at the field. He is almost to the point of a SOLO. The other day he walks up to me and asks if i can program his plane to fly off his cell phone. I guess there is a APP for the I-phone now where it will interface with the reciever and you tilt the I-phone in the direction you want the plane to fly. i have no clue how this will work but strange lol
Ain't gonna happen. The percentage of people wanting a "kit" form of the arf is maybe 5% at best. Would you spend the time and money to actually build and cover a 30% plane? I love all aspects of this hobby, but I would have a hard time building, and covering anything of size for the current price of equivalent size arf. Its not the dollars. It's the instant gratification. Thats all current youth is interested in.
zx32tt