RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where is this hobby going
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where is this hobby going

same thread, different year...

wah, wah... i have been doing this hobby myself 25+ yrs.  I had to ride my bike with my trainer under my arm to school yard to try to fly.

What hasn't changed.. what's killing this hobby? those people that can't welcome new people. And everyclub has them and they offset the 10 people there that will help.
I had to learn to fly on my own.. WHERE WAS THE HOBBY SHOP TO POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION? i was flying for a while before i even knew there were CLUBS. A world wide hobby and didn't even know there were 4-5 clubs in my area.

If i was starting out.. the hobbyshops didn't try to find alternatives to get me going, NO  you need this, most likely what ever he needed to sell.

THE CLUBS: new kid, guy, whever.. all excited .. how much to join? AMA$,CLUB$,new guy memeber cost$.. just fly my plane? ( enter the parkflyer group exploding here).  If you found a club first.. think they could point out swapmeets, auctions... NOPE.. go to the Hobby shop so he can line his pockets too.
Now we have members of clubs that don't like new guys, helicopters, 3D, electric, or the fact you haven't been breathing for 60+ years. ask a question? cold shoulder.. sit back and wait for him to crash ( remember the OLD GUY  penut galleries, they could fly anything, yet flew nothing but thier mouths.)
BEEN A MEMBER.. try to do something to draw in new people.. NOPE...take a flying leap..didn't you know this is our club...OH, then complain each month about how come no one new is coming in.
TRY to get youngsters involved , AND I QOUTE" I they can't afford to join , the can't afford to fly"... what a crock.. i'v modified airhogs with rc equip and flew cheap.. no to mention swapmeets or just a passalong plane.

SO to stop from making this real long... KEEP TELLING YOURSELF IT'S  HobbyKing, Online sales, Aliens from MARS.. IT is the WHERE we get together to fly , and how we act that make this what it is , OR else is just building stuff to hang in your house .. which is nothing more than collecting big stamps.

ohh, i love this hobby, meeting new people( some more than others)  ... and trying to help those just trying to start out.... thanks if you didn't take this personally... if you did .. well, you just might be one that needs to hold up a mirror.