RCU Forums - View Single Post - Crashed the Seagull Spacewalker II 120 and thinking of rebuilding
Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crashed the Seagull Spacewalker II 120 and thinking of rebuilding

I couldn't get out of a flat spin with the Spacewalker but the fuselage survived unscathed. The wings contacted some tree limbs on the way down and one side is easily repairable and the other would require more effort and fully recovering the panel.

My greater problem is that I didn't like the way the plane flew, though I freely admit that of the dozen or so flights on it... all were in windy conditions. It might have flown much better in light air. Specifically, it required constant roll correction. And.... I of course don't like that it wouldn't come out of a flat spin. In retrospect, it was a bit loath to come out of a regular spin and I should have known better than induce a flat spin. The one and only however was a very pretty and slow flat spin... all the way down.

I could be wrong, but I blame what I deemed as poor flight manners on the generous dihedral that was vulnerable to wind getting under a wing panel and inducing roll. This may have been exasperated by a high motor mount location and thus a center of mass well above the wing.

What I'm contemplating is stripping and rebuilding the wings and removing the dihedral set by the wing tube receivers and then resetting the wing tube position from a low wing to a mid wing.

Any thoughts?