RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Mid-Star 40 conversion
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM
danf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Mid-Star 40 conversion

I started building a Sig Mid-Star 40 a few weeks ago and decided to convert it to electric... The plane is expected to be about 5lb (80oz) complete, so I initially started looking at 500W for power, but then I decided to add a little extra

I finally decided on putting a EMP C3548 1100kV turning an APC-E 11x5.5 with a HobbyWing Platinum 60A ESC and a Sky Lipo 4S 3300mah 20C battery. eCalc prediction is 730W max at 56a... This oughta scoot pretty good!

Now, a question for all you 'lectric experts out there... The ESC has a great big 'ol heat sink on it and I was considering cutting a hole in the bottom of the fuse to allow the heat sink to hang out in the air and cool a little bit... Is this a good or bad idea?

Also, I've noticed that eCalc has an option to describe your cooling setup as "very poor", "poor", "medium", "good", or "excellent"... I'm guessing that's all about how much air is flowing over the motor, but does anyone know what constitutes "excellent" or "good"? My motor will be mounted way out in front with nothing but the prop hub blocking airflow around it. The plane has cheeks on either side of the motor, but nothing above, below, or in front of the motor.