RCU Forums - View Single Post - Big jump in kit prices at Tower
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Big jump in kit prices at Tower

ORIGINAL: CellTech

I am done with Tower. They have gone from being a price discounter to an overpriced corporation looking for high profits. I have spent tens of thousand of dollars with them over the decades. They have turned into a distributor of Chinese junk and I will no longer do business with them. The last straw was when the expert kid i spoke to through their hobby services told me the reason for my OS engine piston/liner peeling issues is because I ran the engine too lean. Being a control line flyer as well I am use to running my engines on the rich side along with a 22% oil content of 50/50/ Synthetic Castor blend. Evidently not enough Castor oil in the fuel to prevent the peeling. Oh well the kid at customer no service obviously knows more then a modeler of over fifty years. Tower I am done with you. My hobby bucks are now going elsewhere
Tower people have known more about there products then consumers for decades, another reason I left them. Every engine ever sent to them was a lean run problem. I once sent in an engine to there service, it was to be fired up to see what the trouble was, they stripped it down, told me it was a lean run and needed to have perts replaced that cost $28.00 less then a new engine. I had them send it back. I had it checked out by our local engine guy, he saw nothing wrong in it? I put it back together, it still didn't run, replaced the needle valve assembly and it ran without ever having a dead stick for there years, then I sold it in a plane. From then on I started doing my own engine work and haven't bought a new OS in decades. That was when they lost me as a costumer, a couple of decades ago.
Why anyone would use there over priced services is beyond me yet I have friends that place orders to them on a regular basis?