RCU Forums - View Single Post - JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
sidajili

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Hi Celso,

I bought the turnkey version with smoke system, turbine, retracts, servos all pre-installed. Cost wise, I think the turnkey version is the most cost effecttive. Iam personally satisfied with the paint quality and fittings. Am certain most modellers will be more than happy with the painting. This is a high performance sport trainer jet that meets my personal requirements.
  1. Quick Build and simplicity: I wanted something good that Ican put together in a short time. I will tell you something. Istill work and have very little time to build models. I can put in only about 4 hours work on a model per week, after business work. I have a JL L39 Albatross with K170F yet to start work on. Ihave a falcon 120 with K80F work in progess for 3 months now and still not finished. I have sky eagle 1:6 MIG 29 VT with dual K170F, work not started. I have flash jet with K140F, work 96% done, yet to maiden since 1 month now. When I bought the JLviper, I planned to start work on it by October. My friend and I unpacked and saw everything so neatly done and wired and we said, hey lets fly this thing. Same evening, we put in a 12x receiver and bolted up the wings, rudder and elevator within an hour. In another hour, the controls were sorted out ready for adjustments. Only 4 screws to fix! Next day, another 2 hours on and the FOD screen was fixed on the turbine, throws adjusted and CG checked. The landing gear is simple, no gear doors or complex sequencer system. The turbine wiring is so simple - ECU is built in and only one fuel line to connect. Two tanks for the fuel and UAT all done neatly. The smoke system has two tanks as well. Brakes and retract uses electronic valves - my preference. Further, the nose wheel steering has a servo directly on it fixed and does not use the cable system. No need for complex power box system, just hook up a 9x or 12x receiver of your choice. Trust me, the JL viper is so simple that I will advise this for anyone moving from electric to turbines.
  2. Finishing - look around this thread for the different schemes and you will agree the finishing is good. The videos show this.
  3. Performance - My buddy flying the viper for me never went beyong 60-70% of the throttle through out the flight. The weight to thrust ratio is good. This is a high performance jet. 12kg turbine for this weight... too much power to intimidate gravity...
  4. Simple to fly: Take off landing just like electric Habu 32. Landing gear high clearance and wide spaced makes it stable during taxi. I did not fly the maiden but I can tell my buddy was in control and enjoyed the second flight. Maiden flights can stretch nerves... I will fly the jet myself next week
  5. Simple to transport: Quick disconnect the valves, remove the wings, and this jet fits to a car you can fold the back seats.
Only issues with the JL Viper -
  1. No Manual!!! I hate to make guesses and this time, another good product with no manual. I guess JLfeels its really simple enough... I need an 'idiots manual' with nothing assumed for my models especially when lots of $$$ are invested in it. Had to ask around the forum for CG and throw rates.
  2. No FOD screen for the turbine. I prefer my turbines protected. Plan to get one installed
  3. Icould not see either an electronic or manual fuel shut off valve. Perhaps there's an electronic fule valve for the turbine built in, am not sure. If i find there is none, I will have at least a manual shut off valve installed. I am more comfortable this way.
  4. Can't just find any other problem or issues. I am happy putting up this bird in the air successfully just 2 days after un-boxing! And the performance? Exhilarating!
If you are like me looking for quick build, get the turnkey version. I can assure that the assembly and painting is well done. If you like your own thing and want to enjoy the challenge of building and modelling, get the kit version and do your thing. If you prefer a brand of turbine over the Spark 80Nor 120N, get the version without the turbine.

If you are advancing from electric jets to turbine, the JLviper is a good consderation. If you are a pro, the performance from this jet will more than excite you. This jet is a joy giver!

Hope this helps.

Sunday Idajili.