RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch Building 1/4-Scale Pitts Model-12
Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 PM
curtrc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Scratch Building 1/4-Scale Pitts Model-12

Important step today- the first full-sized mock-up. I guess not everyone does this but once Ihave enough pieces Ilike to just do a gratuitous layout to say "hey.. THISis what you are building.." it makes all the minute details-on-bizzare-looking-parts seem worth it.

Took me a solid two hours to get those cabanes right. had to use a makeshift bending brake and lay them out on the plans to check for correctness.. lot of iterations.

As Isaid in an earlier post the cowling came in, fits perfectly, and I couldn't be happier with it, has a very nice NON-beercan shape. next step is to finish sheeting. had to install the cabanes and ... oh sanskrit.. Iforgot the gear. how am I gonna bend THAT slab of aluminum. Okay guess I'll tackle that tomarrow so I can finish sheetnig.

Iam also uncomfortable with how well butressed the firewall is, Iplan to run those 1/4-inch plywood rails all the way forward (wigh some lightening cutouts in the next lasercut) and I think that will lock the model together solid as a tank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84473.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1786661