RCU Forums - View Single Post - Review Scams?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 04:11 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Review Scams?

ORIGINAL: Mustang Fever

Somebody named ''woola'', who has a member profile with no info to speak of, sent me this pm, keyed off my DR-1 post in the User Reviews. When I asked for the url of their company website so I could check them out, I got no reply. I think it's a scam. Anybody else been getting anything like this?

To: Mustang Fever
Date: 8/2/2012 11:17 PM
Subject: can you make a review for me?

Hi,

My name is Alicecally, coming from China. I’m the rep of Chinese Online shop just like dealextreme. We Know that you are a senior member in this forum and you have made a great contribution to the site and also have great reputation among the members.

Therefore, are you willing to write some reviews as usual if we send the rc helicopters to you for a low price you can accepte or even for free? you can write the reviews as a evaluating article or experience etc. feel free to contact us if you want more details.

Finally, we are famous Chinese online retailers. We provide a wide selection of electronic products at a low price with worldwide free shipping. We have warehouses both in Hong Kong and New Jersey.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards

[8D] I'll agree with everyone here who "smells a rat" in this , for all the obvious reasons , as well as this ;

I'm never one to take issue with someone's grammar , but in this case , the mistakes in the above passage don't make sense to me . They look almost to be on purpose , like a written script they were trying to make look like "Chinglish" . But there are problems . First no way did their spell check not catch the misspelling "accepte" , it even comes up with the red wiggly lines under it while I'm typing this post now . Also , that they know to use the letter A in all the right instances except for where it's absence would be most noticed , as in ""the rep of Chinese hobby shop" instead of "the rep of A Chinese hobby shop" in the second sentence . They then go on to use the A correctly twice in the third sentence , leaving it out only in the end of the run on sentence where they say "have great reputation among members" rather than "have A great rep..." .... Which is it , does their translation software not know proper English , or do they themselves only know half of where to put the A ? .... I would think if they were truly a native Chinese speaker who were trying to speak English with little knowledge of it , that they would make the same mistake every time that particular convention of speech arose , and not at the random times that appear in the post .

I may or may not be right about the purposefully fractured grammar , but it still has SCAM written all over it