RCU Forums - View Single Post - What's Your R/C Story
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What's Your R/C Story

For me it started about 5 years ago...

I went with some friends to a college hockey game and during the intermissions some guy would go out on the ice and start flying a small plane around and that got me interested. the next day I went to a Local Hobby Shop just to look around and ask them some questions about getting started into flying. While I was there I noticed a few "gas powered" cars they had on display and that really peeked my interest. I remember beign at a Fair when I was little and watching them race and anythign with an internal combustion engines has always got my blood flowing! So I took a closer look at a few of the models they had then I went home and started looking online for some more info from other sources including YouTube then I found this site. I went back to the LHS the next day and bought an HPI Firestorm 10T. I had the usual struggles getting it running and tuned properly but it wasn't long before I got the hang of it and wanted another one. I don't remeber which one I bought next but I have owned many dozens since. I know if it wasn't for Nitro engines I would probably never have gotten into this great hobby. I believe society as a whole is getting lazier every day and people are getting sucked int to electric is easier bit (and it is) But nitro still hold a place in my heart. I hope to always have at least one or two nitros in my garage even if I am getting lazy too and run my electrics than my nitros!

I have never bought another one brand new since that first Firestorm. I am a firm believer in buying used. You can save so much money over buying new even if you have to replace a few parts. This is a hobby and even the new one will need to have parts replaced soon after the purchase anyway so I don't mind having to replace a few right off the bat. I can say that I have never really been burned on a sale, purchase or trade. Overall it has been a great exerience for me. Anyone getting started in this hobby would be well advised to start off with a brand new model purchased locally so you can get answers to the many questions and support from the LHS.