RCU Forums - View Single Post - F3A Results - SPOILER
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Jason Arnold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F3A Results - SPOILER

ORIGINAL: apereira

I think I am mistaken or probably there might be different types of ESC control, I remember doing a check a while ago and the voltage was DC.

Well after giving some thought again, I made a check and in fact it is AC, as I measured AC Voltage and frequency on one of my small Hacker setups, so the ESC has the inverters to generate AC current and synchronized as they have to be 120deg apart, the thing is some text call for only a two phase while the other works as a Hall Sensor to syncronize the motor with the ESC, but I read before the motor uses the three phases, but shuts one down in a syncronized manner to use the Hall Sensor for positioning, that is why the sensored motors are supposed to be more efficient, as there are specific hall sensor for positionining leaving the winding fully usable at all times, in any cas I did measure voltage on all three wires, about 4V max on each one on a 3S setup.

I wish a manufacturer of ESC's will actually give some explanation of it, but looks like the inverters in the ESC change the frequency along with the voltage to control the motor speed and using a winding to determine the position of the rotor so it can synchronize the rotating magnetic field and in this way the timing can be set by changing the advance of the rotating magnetic field in relation to the rotor. This is the way I knew it worked, but again, somewhere I read about being DC the way I said before, but right know stand with this latest statement as I just performed the check in house.

Regards
Did you use an oscilloscope or a multimeter to make your measurements?

Regards,
Jason.