RCU Forums - View Single Post - Servo Gears: Steel vs Titanium???
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 05:01 AM
flyboy9994

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo Gears: Steel vs Titanium???

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

Just a few things to consider when making your decision about steel vs Titanium servo gears.
If you will be flying on really hot days....like we have here in Texas....the Titanium gears will give you an extra margin of safety. Titanium has a melting point of 3135°F (1725°C). This melting point is approximately 400°F (220°C) above the melting point of steel. So if the air temperature was...let's say 2,800 degrees, steel gears would turn to liquid...but your Titanium gears would still be OK. Another thing to consider: Gasoline is very volatile and flammable....much more so than glow fuel. On occasion, gas powered planes crash and burn. If this ever happens with one of your planes, even if the fire destroys your plane, servos, and receiver.....your Titanium gears would survive undamaged.
Best Regards
JC

PS: Yes...I'm joking.
Now that's funny right there!! I feel your pain down there in Texas for sure. We broke all kinds of records for days above 100 degress here in west KY. Sure felt like 2800 degreesout on the flight line. Jeeezzz... better go with titanium I guess. Especially if I crash and burn I can collect the titanium gears from the wreck site and keep them forspares!!Thanks JC

P.S. Yes... I'm joking too. Thanks for the chuckle!!