RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Time Kit Builder: Project GP Super Decathalon
Old 08-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Avistarpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Kit Builder: Project GP Super Decathalon

Well as the title states I'm in the process of building my first kit plane. Figured since it's my first, and I'll probably have a bunch of questions I would just start a build thread...I mean who doesn't like those right? Unfortunately the model is discontinued but looks like everything is here. I got the kit from a co-worker years ago for next to nothing and decided to give it a go.

I made myself a little work station devoted to this bird. Has been working out pretty well. I've got the wings mostly done. Need to install the wing tips and aileron control linkage yet, as well as sand it all down smooth. Tail feathers are also done minus some standing. My plan is to tinker on her over the winter and hopefully have it perfect by spring, ready for its maiden. As of now I'm thinking maybe a .46 or .51/55 2 stroke for power. I've heard these are a bit heavy so may stick a .55ax in there. That's later on down the road.

Anyway, here are some piccs. Hopefully someone that's built one of these will chime in, as well as all you veteran builders out there to give me some insight on this thing!

Workbench:

Wing build-up

Wing almost complete, starting fuse build up

Tail feathers