RCU Forums - View Single Post - A123 Question
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 08:02 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: A123 Question

From the expert Iwouldnot use just any old charger. Only a charger that is rated for A123/ LiFe batterys
http://www.hangtimes.com/a123_batter...iants_faq.htmlQ: Can I use my ‘XYZ’ brand NiCad /NiMH charger or Wall Wart on LiFe?
No. Let me be specific… HELL NO! Here’s what’s going on.. LiFe’s nominal voltage per cell is 3.3v. While the charge routine is similar to LiIon or LiPoly, the max allowable voltage under charge is lower than any other Lithium technology cell, usually about 3.6v; so using a standard LiIon or LiPoly charger will do damage. For you NiCad -NiMH guys, the entire charge sub-routine is different . As of now, there are a number of LiFe capable superchargers coming into the marketplace.. these will deal with ‘em as well as the various other types of Lithium and NiCad/NiMH packs but assume my first answer of HELL NO applies until you review your chargers manual. If you not sure, contact the charger mfg or distributor. Don’t let ‘em blow smoke up your backside either. Get it in writing if it’s not called out in the manual.

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan

Thanks Andy and everyone else. No one had mentioned cycling A123 batteries before to determine their capacity so it was hard to tell if it could be done. Are there any cyclers out there? Do you just cycle the entire pack or do you have to monitor the individual cells? Do they last two or more years before they get to 80% of their capacity? Dan.
Dan,

Any decent charger that has a cycle / discharge function will work for the A123 / LiFe batteries as long as the discharge current and cut-off voltage can be set by the user. I prefer to use a manual mode, note the capacity then proceed with a normal charge after that. Note for measuring battery capacity you're only measuring voltage at a specific current / time so the device isn't battery chemistry dependent. Even an old NiCd / NiMh device would work well for this purpose as long as it meets the basic requirements.

So far after over 2.5 years of use my A123 batteries are not showing any loss of capacity. Very unlike Ni chemistry batteries that show some loss of capacity from the day they are put in use forward.

I'm an old guy compared to most here but no dang antique 8 track players for me! Also no voltage regulators ..... never used one, never needed one and never wanted one!