My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A123 Question

[quote]ORIGINAL: Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Taz, I don't question your findings and the capacity used out of the battery on each flight .... .but I certainly do question that voltage reading on your charger! That is in line with a fully charged two cell LiPo, not a LiFe battery! Are you sure your charger is operating in the LiFe mode? I would expect to see 7.2 V on the display at the end of a LiFe charge cycle.
Yes, it automatically detects the LiFe batt over the Li-Po and goes into auto mode. It always reads 8.38V when the charge cycle is complete. During charging it is around 7 to 7.5v.
Battery ''B'' took 23Mah earlier but I got sidetracked and forgot to snap a photo. It also read 8.38v.
You were 100% correct. The charger did NOT automatically switch and it did indeed over volt / charge the batts. When i said it normally shows 8.38V I was mistaken. I went back thru my charge logs and it has read as high as 7.28V previously. The .38 looked familiar but i was wrong.

Now the question is, did the batteries get damaged?
I am cycling them now and found out how to manually set the 6.6v LiFe settings for my packs. Damn.... I sure may have screwed the pooch on that last charge.

Thanks for bring it up.

Hmmmmm, seems strange to see any reading at any time higher than 7.2V or two LiFe cells!
Thankfully this only happened to one pack of mine and so far so good. Someone told me that these batteries are very robust and can stand it, but not to let it happen again as it could damage it. I am concerned, but only time will tell. I will monitor the pack closely and see whether it holds up.

I did do a couple of discharges to bring it down to around 5-6 volts and then re-charge and balance and all seems ok. I am thinking about working the battery on the bench some as if in flight, then charging again on minimal charge.