RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Time Kit Builder: Project GP Super Decathalon
Old 09-02-2012, 06:55 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: First Time Kit Builder: Project GP Super Decathalon

ORIGINAL: Avistarpilot

Got back from the hobby shop today, was going to break in the engine today but decided to wait. It's going to be a while before I get to fly this thing, I don't want to break it in and then let it sit until spring to fly it. I will use it as mock up and break it in once the weather gets nice again next year. That being said, to the folks that have owned and flown the GP decathalon, how did you mount your engine? I have a .70 4 stroke that I am leaning towards mounting sidways(per the plans) Is it possible to mount this think inverted? Also, do you test fit the cowling at this time also to make sure it lines up with the engine crank? How does one go about getting the crankshaft to get square with the cowl opening before you mount the engine to the firewall?
You'll do fine with this plane.. It has its own personality, as is said, some have mastered it.. Although I don't have mine mastered, it flies fine. I installed an ASP .61 2-stroke w/pitts muffler. Also, instead of using the balsa struts.. I fabricated some out of Aerotrend airfoil shaped aluminum tubing. Although the "surfboard stiff" wing doesn't need them at all.. haha..

The cowling gets mounted after the engine/mount are fitted/installed. Just go by the plans, get the engines' thrust washer/crank in same position as shown on the plan.. take your time here.. Once the engine is in place, the cowling gets positioned.. with engine mounted on airframe, using the thrust-washer, and the front opening in the cowling... those will line up.. with proper spinner clearance(yes.. have the spinner back-plate installed too.. There's a few easy tricks for getting the cowl mounting screws in the correct position too... I won't go to far into that.. just remember that.. when you get to that point.. and I can help you a bit further maybe.... I hope this helps a bit. Have fun.

I should shoot a current pic of mine. . I've wanted to dig it out and dust it off for months..