RCU Forums - View Single Post - 150 meter rule.
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 10:57 AM
EHFAI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 150 meter rule.

Joe

The speed thing is another whole can of worms. I've measured both airspeed with a pitot and ground speed with GPS. Of course, the GPS speed is only valid in level flight while the wind must be factored into the pitot speed. One things certain - constant speed is more of a perception than a fact! Even a simple loop that appears to be flown at "constant speed" will actually vary considerably throughout the maneuver.

Usually I fly a sequence or a practice session, then apply the data I'm interested in to Aresti of the sequence(s) flown. Actually, altitude is the most telling as one can observe entry / exit alts, loop dia, etc. So, I don't have data handy that shows just level flight speed at some throttle setting (something to work on). Picking data from sequence entry or rolling maneuvers the 70 - 80 mph number is pretty close. Yes, the box gets short quick @150M - explains why a lot of designers / pilots have a focus on slower speeds and other pilots fly way out. Unfortunately, I tend to use this data to sort out new sequences / equipment and don't really keep good files - at least with coded names that make sense a year or so later.

I've learned a couple of "tricks" for using the ET GPS, (at least mine) doesn't work above 6v supply - I use a 5.2v reg between it and the power source. Mounting the GPS RX in the wing works well (1/8" x 1 x 1 slot in the foam) - CF and power unit stuff canblock thesignal. Initial satelite acquisition takes acouple of minutes - each power up during that days work then are quick.Lock on to sats in the pilot box, then the closest distance shown each pass is the distance out (in front of the pilot).