RCU Forums - View Single Post - Piper Cub Sailplane
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Nodd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Piper Cub Sailplane

ORIGINAL: Slope Pilot

That ought to be a good glider. I have a 1/4 scale cub, Landing it is a pain, the long wing and airfoil design make it not want to come down, it just glides. I must say, you are a great scratch builder.
Yeah before I vertically introduced this Cub to the ground she did like to float around. There certainly are better sailplane airfoils out there but I expect this wing should serve well enough to goof around with.

ORIGINAL: rhall999

Hi Nodd, that little feller is looking pretty good. I like it!!

About foam cutting...
Although I'd like to avoid turning this into a "how to use a hot-wire foam cutter" thread I totally appreciate the tips. That all makes a lot of sense. You're right, balsa wasn't a good choice. The wire did snag on it & actually started to burn its way into the wood, leaving nasty indents all over my wing in the process. As soon as I cut the spar notches in the template ribs I realized that was probably a mistake too. Much better to either cut that before or after, using the router. I love the T-pins start/finish idea also, especially for the start of the cut. Good stuff, I'll read up on it some more & hopefully get a clue.

One question about your foamie project there. It looks like it has a nice red shinny finish to it. How did you achieve that?