RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch Building 1/4-Scale Pitts Model-12
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 PM
curtrc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Scratch Building 1/4-Scale Pitts Model-12

Mounted the engine in it's semi-final (pending final weight/balance) position, which turned out to be around 1/4" further forward than the plan called for. I am frankly stunned I got it that close.
Stacked a few washers up and roughed out the cowling. I expect to add a few more shimms for some right and down thrust, but no idea yet how much, initially maybe.. 1 degree both? 2 right maybe? loads of info on the 'net about trimming and triangulation and mixes and all that hoo-ha. I'll just be happy with "flies predictably"
Installed the throttle servo and set the basic endpoints (leaving the spring on to soak up backlash, not that I think it's really going to matter) and hogged out a hole for the velocity stack I bought from Hobby King. also the pitts muffler. I need to tap it for smoke and I plan to put the outlet right up next to the manifold, there is plenty of room there. Don't know if I will bother with any kind of pre-heating, but likely that will not be part of the maiden anyway. One less component to break when it surprise tip-stalls and impacts into a crater of balsa and tears, right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12013.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1812016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99026.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1812017