RCU Forums - View Single Post - EFLITE POWER 52 POWER LOSS
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Dr Kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EFLITE POWER 52 POWER LOSS

ORIGINAL: ozzy9

Hi

I hava a hangar9 katana 50 powed by an Eflite power 52 ,Eflite 80 amp esc, 5 cell 18.4 lipo and a 14x8 apc prop.
While flying it has lots of power and can climb forever but 8 to 10 seconds into a hover the motor makes a screaching sound and then a total loss of power
if i throttle down and then throttle up it runs fine. this has now happend 4 times . Has anyone had this problem or know weather it is an esc or motor problem.
I have tried changing props and timing but nothing has changed. Any response will be greatly appreciated.

The shutting down is a battery issue.. the pack can't cope with the excessive amp discharge and voltage under load is dropping below LVC. The proximate cause of the excessive amp discharge is a prop which is too big! The fact that the motor screeches despite your having modified the timing is an indicator of too large a prop.

You could just increase pack size (that would eliminate the LVC issue), but if you cannot find a timing advance which prevents the screech... then reducing prop size is the logical answer. I would also check the WOT amp draw, in case you are exceeding the motor's capability.

Cheers, Phil