RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cons for installing redundant receiver batteries ?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:45 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cons for installing redundant receiver batteries ?

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

I think it was David Searles who published the fact that JPO found that the MAIN cause of crashes in jet models was battery failure, dual batteries will virtually eliminate that risk. Its easy to do so why not do it ?
I find that hard to believe, I have seen loads of model crashes in 30yrs and pilot error, engine failure and bad installation are easily the majority of the reasons, if it was due to battery it was simply because the model was flown for another flight instead of charging up the battery, that is again is pilot error, not a fault of the battery, and if a direct battery related problem, it was because it was badly secured or no means use of connector locking, than the battery itself failing.

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin
and may I ask why Xairflier changes his batteries every year, worried about failure perhaps ? Some of my batteries in Dual installations are years old, I will change them only when they start to show a deterioration in service , confident that the risk of a dual simultaneous failure is negligible.
Yes on my twin battery setups I know the risk is less but to me batteries are consumables and makes economic sense to change them out. More for the case of batteries capacity as I would rather carry on having 5 flights per charge, than drop it to three because I know my batteries are getting old.
Using two battery setups is not really about the battery for me it is the connection of the battery to the receiver I am backing up. I would be more worried about a switch/connection failure than a battery. Lots of times the Battery may be 2ft away, so along with your switch you now also have another connection with a extension lead.