RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch Designed/Built Sailplane Fuselage
Old 10-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Nodd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scratch Designed/Built Sailplane Fuselage

I should probably clarify the "Stubborn Bugger" title is in reference to my die-hard insistence on using these metal brackets. I'm the stubborn bugger not you. Re-reading my post I can see how that'd easily be taken the other way which was not my intent. My other mirror threads are worded exactly the same (RC Groups, Wattflyer). My apologies.

Yeah I'm no expert when it comes to fiberglass but I've sure seen my fair share of beat up, cracked, weathered, & UV'ed to death glass in my day. Just to add to my distrust my flying buddy just shattered his rather expensive DG 1000's glass fuselage yesterday during an aborted aerotow. The stuff while lightweight is far from indestructible. I like indestructible.

After spending a lot of time building a bullet-proof Kevlar wrapped carbon-fiber wing-spar, I think it'd be daft to not continue at least some level of overkill in joining that wing to the fuselage. A strong wing does me no good if its not attached to the plane *grin*

As far as drilling holes in the brackets to keep them light, if you notice in my last post's first sentence I cryptically alluded to doing just that (Swiss-cheesed).

My four meter Discus has been repaired & is flying great. Two layers of heavy glass inside fixed her up.

Anyway enough time spent explaining my self. Time to get back to the workshop.